Jones plugs, or similar sorts of plugs

Tony Duell ard at
Sun May 24 11:14:55 CDT 2009

> The little Sony monitor/TV from that reeel to reel setup also had a full
> size "UHF coax" connector.  I used that for the video for my first TRS80.

Yes, that conenctor (We generally call them PL259s and SO239s (plug and 
socket respectively) over here) was quite common on video equipment at 
one time. I have no idea why, it's not even close to constant impedance, 
and it's very easy to make a right mess of soldering the plug to the 
cable. The BNC connecotr is a lot nicer.

There was a popular monochrome monitor over here in the late 1970s/early 
1980s. I think it was a Nitachi, the case was grey-painted metal with a 
black plastic front panel, it was almost cubical in shape, and came in 9" 
and 12" versions. I came across them used with Apple ][s, RML380Zs, etc. 
Anyway, that used SO239s as the input connectors.


More information about the cctalk mailing list