Jones plugs, or similar sorts of plugs

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun May 24 11:34:19 CDT 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
>> The little Sony monitor/TV from that reeel to reel setup also had
>> a full
>> size "UHF coax" connector.  I used that for the video for my first
>> TRS80.
>
> Yes, that conenctor (We generally call them PL259s and SO239s (plug
> and
> socket respectively) over here) was quite common on video equipment at
> one time. I have no idea why, it's not even close to constant
> impedance,
> and it's very easy to make a right mess of soldering the plug to the
> cable.

   They go by the same designation over here.  They're one of the
worst connector designs I've ever seen.  Not even suitable for VHF
use, why on earth someone named them "UHF" is quite beyond me.  Have
you ever put one on a network analyzer?  Bumps and reflections all
over the place.

> The BNC connecotr is a lot nicer.

   Twisting two pieces of wire together is a lot nicer than a PL259/
SO239!

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire