Jones plugs, or similar sorts of plugs

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun May 24 15:57:03 CDT 2009

> On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:34:19 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> > They're one of the  worst connector designs I've ever seen.
>
> Show me a connetor design from the 30s that will take RG8 low loss coax
> and handle several KWs of RF power without arcing and sparking.
> You will not do it with a BNC.

I don;'t know the dates, but the 'C' and 'N' connectors spring to mind.
Probably a bit later, though.

IIRC the stnadard N connector socket has the same panel cutout as the
SO-239. Which makes it a useful upgrade for stuff fitted with the latter
connecotor

> PL259s are easy to terminate with a little practice and a good soldering gun!

Unless you hae a crappy one where the insulator melts before you've got
the braid properly soldered....

> >Twisting two pieces of wire together is a lot nicer than a PL259
>
> To get closer to being on topic, try soldering 3 or 4 pieces of coax
> to a DB9 connector to use as a RGB
       ^^^
DE9, surely :-)

> video feed and look at it on an analyzer, it makes a PL259 look like a
> real clean option.

Don;t get me started on the 'SCART' connnector used over here. This is a
21 pin socket that takes a 20 pin plug (no, I am not joking, the 21st
socket contact connects to the overall screen of the plug), it's commonly
fitted on domestic TVs, VCRs, DVD playes, etc. The signals are stereo
audio I/O, comoposite video I/O, RGB video (unidirecional, using the
composite video pin for sync, and so on). A worst RF connector is hard to
imagine!