Is this slashdot or Classiccmp? Re: Microsoft bashing [ Off topic warning!]

Doug Jackson doug at stillhq.com
Mon May 25 18:52:58 CDT 2009

>    When I was a lttle kid, I asked what "spindle" meant, and why there
> was
>    any need to say, "Do not fold, spindle, staple, or mutilate."

When I was a youngster (18), I worked at the Australian National
University in the research School of Physical Sciences.  I was a trainee
in the Electronics Unit.  We got to repair Altairs, and Imsais, and
Intel MDS systems -  drool now - I had no idea how much I would miss
them when they went....  Real machines - None of these fancy switch mode
power supplies....  BIG caps...  BIG transformers...

These machines were used extensively to control experiments.  We also
has a wonderful mechanical engineering department that 'could make
anything!'.

One of the silly memories I have is turning 18.  One of my presents from
the guys was a new accelerator pedal for my car, that contained a small
hole in the pedal.  Mounted under the small hole was a spindle that
would protrude through the hole when the accelerator was pressed harder
than 80% of its travel.

Kind of a active, biometric feedback system, designed to reduce the
acceleration rate of my car.....   I don't know what they were
complaining about :-P

It is funny what a single word can make you remember!