when soldering irons go bad

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu May 28 22:04:37 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:01 PM, John Foust <jfoust at threedee.com> wrote:
> At 04:55 PM 5/28/2009, Dave McGuire wrote:
>>  I didn't think anything could be better than my trusty Weller,
>>until I tried the Metcal.
>
> Looks Metcals go for $100-200 on eBay.  Is that expensive?

That's not _too_ bad, but how many and what kind of tips do you get at
that price.

$100 and one tip would be OK, but I remember prices with an assortment
of tips being closer to $300.  Perhaps one side of the supply/demand
equation is more favorable to the buyer now.

> As a teen in the late 70s, I once tried to assemble a mail-order
> electronics kit but it wouldn't work...  I sent it back to the
> company for diagnosis and was stung by the hand-written criticism
> that "it looks like it was soldered with a hot brick."

I still have a couple of projects I assembled in the late 1970s as a
teen... I used a cheap RatShack pencil iron - they _do_ look like they
were assembled with a hot brick.  One is a TVT 6-5/8.  I keep meaning
to clean that one up but haven't found the time to do it.

-ethan