Speaking of VAX memory... MSV11PK->MSV11PL?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 11:34:10 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Glen Slick <glen.slick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> meaning to ask if anyone has fully stuffed a 512KB MSV11-PK and turned
>> it into a 1MB MSV11-PL?
>
> Do you mean turn a 256KB MSV11-PK into a 512KB MSV11-PL?

Ah, yes.  That's what I mean.

> I have an M8067-LB in front of me right now that is fully stuffed with
> 8 rows of 9 MK4564N chips which should work out to be 512KB, which
> matches the M8067-LA MSV11-PL description in the PDP-11 field guide.

I must have doubled things in my head twice.  I was also probably
thinking about one of the dual-height cards being 256K, so a
quad-height card "must" be 512K.

> The only way the memory could be doubled would be to replace the 64K
> chips with half as many 256K chips.  Does the board support 256K
> chips?

I am not claiming that 256K chips work.  I used the right DEC part
number designations but misremembered the capacity.  What I meant was
to take a board that is half-full of 4164s and to stuff it full of
4164s (which I did explain in the text, just with the capacity wrong).

Thanks and sorry for the mistake.

-ethan