apple documentary and huge apple collection

Brian Lanning brianlanning at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:33:54 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Tony Duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Sure, so do I, and so do many others here. I think the point is that we
> (or at least I) don't have 40 or 50 almost indentical machines. OK, it's
> reasonable to have multiple instances of the same machine to use for
> spares, or to netowrk together, or because there are different models
> that look similar, but not 40 or 50 of them (at least not in most cases...)

Yeah, this guy had 40 or 50 apple 2Es, 15 2GSs that I could see, maybe 20 or
30 mac LCs, etc.  I have two 2GSs and two Amiga 2000s, etc.  I can see
easily ending up with a couple dozen or more examples of certain machines
that I'd like to have, plus a spare or two, or even several identical
models, but with different configurations.  Beyond that, I have to question
why one person would need all of these without extenuating circumstances,
like trying to start a retro computer business, or maybe for a museum or
something (who knows, maybe he is).  As it it, it appears that it's only
serving to keep a large number of machines out of circulation.  I'd love to
have a clean working Laserwriter 2.  He had 8 or 10 stacked up.  I almost
never see them on ebay (maybe my saved searches are filtering them out
though).  No ill will though.  I wish I had his collection.  I'm sure my
wife is glad I don't.  :-)

brian