Non-fake Apple 1 on ebay

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Nov 18 11:32:38 CST 2009

On 18 Nov 2009 at 9:38, Philip Pemberton wrote:

> ID11 is basically D76 with an Ilford twist. Same basic chemical
> constituents, same process times and temperatures, and so on.

A favorite of mine was a home-cooked developer made simply of metol
and borax.  Slow-acting, but wonderfully long-scale.  It's in the
Kodak "cookbook", but I don't recall the number.

> Photochemicals don't usually turn your hands brown -- most of them are
> clear (with the exception of indicator stopbaths which are either
> yellow, purple or some colour in between depending on their current
> pH).

Eventually, doing too many prints barehanded in Dektol (an old
technique was to "push" areas on a print by rubbing with developer-
soaked hands to raise the temperature locally.)  Same idea as
breathing on the area.  Eventually, the developer that permeates the
skin oxidizes and the hands become stained a nice brown.

Tongs?  They were for sissies and kept disappearing anyway.  Another
episode in a misspent youth.

--Chuck