Odds and Ends questions

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Wed Nov 25 01:09:48 CST 2009

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2009 at 0:33, Jim Brain wrote:
>

>>    2. Anyone on list have any experience with MAX 7032A Altera CPLDs?
>>       I'm working on a VIC-20 MIDI interface for a friend in Toronto,
>>       and I'd love to use a small CPLD to make it more cost effective
>>       to produce the MIDI cart.  I've found TQFP 7032A units for
>>       $.31/piece, but I've never done CPLD.  I want to learn, and
>>       thought if I at least knew someone could help me though the
>>       first few bits (and help with the programming cable, etc., it'd
>>       be much easier.
>>

> I've done some Max 7000S CPLDs.  The ByteBlaster programmer is easy
> to build and the Quartus development software is available free on
> line.  I believe it includes some examples.

Can one use the ByteBlaster for Xilinx parts as well, or do I have to
buy two tools (I rather like the Xilinx part options better myself, but
the deal is on Altera stock.)
> Solid, or stranded?  Tinned or bare copper?

stranded, either tinner or bare is fine.  Teflon coating would be ideal
for the usage, but I hesitate on it because I can't seem to figure out
how to strip such wire.

--
Jim Brain, Brain Innovations                                      (X)
brain at jbrain.com
Dabbling in WWW, Embedded Systems, Old CBM computers, and Good Times!
Home: http://www.jbrain.com