Cleaning packs

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 14:57:16 CST 2009

> < If you cut a new thread in the plastic (self tapping screws), you
> >> run the risk of puting little bits of plastic on the disk.
> >
> >    This is something you should do in everything :)
> Of course. If you don't take care, you get lose screws....

Yes, if you re-cut the threads too many times. And then you have to stic
k some plastic shavings down the hole with a suitable solvent and try
again.

> But... Info from DEC field service (no joke, one of my 8/Ls has been
> repaired for me by an original DEC field service engineer!!!) is the
> following: "It's not the "big stuff" that is dangerous for the disk
> system, it's everything that fits between the head and the disk surface.
> Normal dust and other stuff is simply kicked away"

Hmmm. I would take that with a pinch of NaCl.

To be fari, the RK05 is _very_ forgiving. Even after a real headcrash the
heads are quite often still useable. Other drives may be a lot less easy
to keep going.