8MM Tape drives

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Oct 3 13:20:01 CDT 2009

On 3 Oct 2009 at 19:39, Nico de Jong wrote:

> Just the principle of writing a tape through the floppy interface,
> disgusts me. Formatting a tape takes a very long time; ISTR about an
> hour. Must have been invented by the devil.

I suppose where we diverge is on the long-term stability of QIC.
I've seen my share of very old QIC (>20 years) and can't say that I'd
put it as high as you do.  1/2" tape is okay, as long as it isn't one
of those awful brands that shed like crazy.

Aside from 1/2" tape, the oldest reliable storage medium I have is 8"
floppy--and various paper products.

Wasn't floppy tape invented by Cipher?  The 525 is about the oldest
floppy tape drive that I know of (still have one sealed in its
original packaging).

So Cipher = Devil? :)

--Chuck