Classic computers endangered!

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 14:51:31 CDT 2009

> Agreed for many parts of 1990s machines, but as for 1960s and 1970s
> DEC machines in particular (the subject I know more about than
> others), there are a few parts here and there that are getting
> difficult to find without robbing them from other machines - Omnibus
> buffers come to mind first, and certain parts from the -8/i and -8/L
> era, like the 74H40 or the 7482.  They aren't complete unobtanium yet,
> but they are nowhere near as easy to find as they were 10 years ago.

Sure, some parts are getting _hard_ to find, but that's not the same as
'impossible'. Geting a replacement '95 shift register for an HP
calculator was non-trivial, but a lot easier than finding a part for a
1990's PC. There are of course many work-arounds if you don;'t mind minor
kludges -- one of the M-series boards in my RK11C has a dead-bugged
74LS83 (IIRC) replacing a dead 7482. Works fine. Things like that.