Free VAX/Alpha hardware

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 8 13:04:50 CDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 1:08 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>> If nothing else the powersupplies, and if it has them, the side
>>> panels
>>> should be saved.  It has been my experience that the side panels
>>> are harder
>>> to get than the chassis itself.
>>
>> What chassis are you talking about, BA123?  I don't think Joe
>> mentioned what chassis his -II is in.
>
> Good point.  Since he said MicroVAX II, I assumed BA123, but it
> could be in
> a BA23.

   I've never seen a -I in a BA123, only BA23s.  That may just be
incidental, though.

>> I am short a BA23 power supply.  I have two hand-built BA123
>> prototypes, called "woody boxes" because of their gorgeous wooden
>> lids, that use BA23 power supplies...one of them has a dead PS.
>> (yes I checked that sentence for typos...BA23/BA123 above is
>> correct :))
>
> Very cool sounding!  Pictures?

   I don't have any yet, and they're packed away.  I will get them
out at some point and do a nice photo shoot.  They really are nice
little boxes, and very different from the final production BA123.
They are built around a BA23 power supply and backplane (so only
eight slots as compared to the BA123's twelve).  They only have four
drive bays, mounted horizontally in a vertical column on the right,
with no vertically-mounted left bay like that of the production
BA123.  They are much smaller and lighter than a production BA123,
but they still have casters.

   I have the wood tops for both of mine, but I am missing one side
cover, which is very sad.  I'll hire a machinist to make me a new one
when I can afford to.  Some of the sheet metal parts still sport some
blue layout dye and scribe marks!

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire