Any experience with or recommendations on restoring rusted galvanized steel?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Oct 13 17:03:32 CDT 2009

On 13 Oct 2009 at 17:17, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> Obviously, descaling, sanding and painting is one way to deal with
> this.  I'm looking for possible alternatives.

You're on the right track.  Krylon has a good zinc-rich galvanize-
appearance paint:

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/galvanizpaint.html

You can also electroplate zinc:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/zinc.htm

Electroless nickel is another option (see the site above) and may be
more durable than zinc and easier to apply.

In my misspent youth, I worked as a tech in a steel mill and the
continous galvanize line (as well as the tinplate lines) were on my
route.  Lots of very nasty hot chemicals (e.g. chromic acid); the
galvanize line used a hydrogen atmosphere...

--Chuck