Largest ST-506 (MFM or RLL) type HDD?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 16:16:18 CDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM,  <arcarlini at iee.org> wrote:
> The DEC RD54 (Maxtor XT-2190) was 159MB or so. I once had a brace of
> them on a PC.

I had a PCs or two with a Micropolis 1325, but I'd already converted
over to Adaptec SCSI controllers and embedded SCSI drives (frequently
surplus/castoffs from a Sun environment) rather than go above about
60MB on MFM/ST412.  I didn't get an IDE drive for anything until after
1992 - it was all small MFM and large(er) SCSI for my sub-32-bit
environments.  Any "large" disks ended up going on VAXen and PDP-11s.

The idea of a PC with "a brace" of FH 5.25" drives on it is somewhat
daunting.  The closest thing I can imagine to it is a fully-loaded
BA123, and I've never *seen* one of those above two or three spindles.

-ethan