TU56 lamp replacement

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Oct 23 11:41:27 CDT 2009

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:52:40 +0200
Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de> wrote:

> Some blasphemy to add:
> If I don't find a quick solution, I'll fit one of the TU56s with crazy
> colored LEDs. That might be considered a sacrilege by some people, but
> it's quite reversible and non-destructive.
This would be a sacrilege only if your aim is a 100% original
restoration. If you just want to _repair_ a machine to get it back to
live, hell, LEDs are perfect. I have no problem if modern replacements
are used in old machines when original replacement parts are
unavailable. I have no problems with new parts even when they are
simply used to "enhance" old machines. (E.g. SMPSU instead a linear
regulator or newer disk drives to save power.)

E.g. I have fited SGI Indogos with ATX PSUs. The original PSUs die like
flies and are a nightmare to repair.

Or fans: If a fan fails, would you really looking for an exact
replacement? Most likely you will replace it with a generic fan, as
long as voltage and air throughput match. Same for indicator lamps.
They are generic components that emit light. I don't care if they are
LED or incandescent lamps, as long as they do the job.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen