Menu builder script for MS-DOS?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Oct 26 13:13:41 CDT 2009

On 26 Oct 2009 at 9:42, Dan Gahlinger wrote:

> You might also want to check out a cool little utility
> called "Snobol"
>
> It was actually a "programming language" *cough* (not really!)

Actually, it *is*  a programming language.  I still have my black-
covered "The SNOBOL4 Programming Language" from 1968.  It was an
interesting language to play around with, and unless my memory is
failing, was implemented in FORTRAN for portability.  SNOBOL's forte
was pattern-matching with strong support for recursion.  I
encountered it both on S/360 and CDC 6000 systems, although I believe
it was available on other mainframes of the time (e.g., GE 635,
Univac 1108).

There were a lot of "menu builders".  I have a couple of lesser-known
ones.  One is called "SNAP" and I don't remember the others.  Of all
of the batch-file enhancers for DOS that I used, only CENVI remains
as something that I still use for doing more invoved jobs.  It's
basically an interpreted C that runs as batch files.

--Chuck