Rescued documentation issues

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 26 14:16:33 CDT 2009

yeah, then you get into other issues...

like certain individuals being total ass-hats because they won't
"allow" people to get simple photocopies of "their" precious documentation.

They don't want anyone scanning it in, unless it's done to their exacting standards,
which, 100% of the time, are totally a waste of time and useless.

eg: there's the only existing printout of a document from the 80s, where the printout is dot matrix,
with the dots the size of quarters and the guy won't scan it unless you use a $50,000 machine set
at 9600 dpi, hand fed, with latex gloves in a clean room and then archived onto gold-master archive CD's.

when, a standard photocopier will actually make a copy that is more readable than the original, and
thus supply a better scan in the end.

the result being they horde their collections, the only copies in existence, and never get around to scanning it,
or sometimes, they will scan it, but won't give (or sell) the scans because it's their *precious*

in the end, the only copies around are destroyed or lost because one person is being difficult.

In my case, I know I have the only existing copies of certain things (believe me, I've looked), and if other copies
are out there, no one is doing anything about it or saying anything, so the result is the same.

For me, I'm trying to scan it all in and get it out there, or as many people to enjoy as possible.
and hopefully, in the future copies will survive me.

Maybe things will get better when that UK project that allows us to download our minds onto the internet finally completes...

Dan.