Kiel PDP-10 [was RE: pdp8/e frontpanel lamps]

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Oct 27 12:55:19 CDT 2009

Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:55:30 -0000
> "Rod Smallwood" <rodsmallwood at btconnect.com> wrote:
>

>> > Are there any DEC 10's running elsewhere?
>>
> At least a vew years ago the Lule? Academic Computer Society (Computer
> Society at Lule? University of Technology) used to have a runable
> DECsystem 2065. There was a nice galery featuring many interresting
> machines (VAX 8850, Norsk Data, ...). But the website has been WiKified
> (puke) and now the galery is gone.

Hmm. As far as I know, LUDD only have/had a DEC-2020. No -2065 around there.

But the largest collection of PDP-10 machines in the world for a long
time used to be at Stacken, at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
in Sweden. That, in combination with Peter Lothbergs collection.
Stacken have had to get rid of most of their stuff, I think, but Peter
still has his, and maybe more.

Lots of machines from the US were "exported" to Stacken...

I know that Peter still have atleast one KI-10 SMP machine (with alteast
two cpus) in storage. And that one is runnable. He have KLs as well, and
other stuff.
Stacken used to have a KA-10 running, and several KL and KS machines as
well.

I think I've written about this before, but it seems that either is
noone seeing my mails, or noone remembers them, or possible noone wants
to believe them.
Don't know which...

Anyway, not that I think you could get Peter to work on restoring a
KI-10 unless you have lots of money, but I bet he'd be able to to it in
close to no time, without much help. Heck, I know he modified his KI-10
machines to have some extra instruction needed for his modified version
of TOPS-10 back in the 80s.

If there is anyone in the world who knows PDP-10 machines, it is Peter.
It's just that if you haven't been around for a long time, you probably
might not know about him.

    Johnny