eBay disaster

Paxton Hoag innfoclassics at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 14:05:18 CDT 2010

> could someone please explain me THIS?
> http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190385486840
>
> I don't sell on eBay very often. And from time to time I see people paying
> astronomical sums for more or less junk. But this time it was me offering
> stuff - and what did I get? I have no clue who would sell me a used RK05
> disk pack in unknown condition for that price. But this was a new in a box
> one....!
>
> What did I do wrong?

I don't think you did anything wrong with your listing (maybe English
only wasn't a good choice).

I just think there is little demand for a new disk pack. There are
very few of these drives left in existence. And the most likely buyer
is going to be someone who is going to use the Disk.

I sell old collectible equipment on eBay, and I am often surprised at
how little it brings. I have learned to keep my expectations low, or
put a reserve price on it.

What I would have done would be to list the disk pack, not as an
auction, but as a Buy it Now Sale with an Offer option. I would also
put it up for 30 days at a price I would be happy selling it at.

I have found this better than putting a truly rare item up for
auction. The 30 days really helps also get more exposure.  I feel it
takes 100 page views to get a reasonable price. If you don't get that
you risk selling low.

Paxton
Innfosale on eBay.

--