chips vs chad

jd onymouse at garlic.com
Wed Apr 7 16:03:19 CDT 2010

On 04/07/2010 10:01 AM, dwight elvey wrote:

> Hi
>  It seems to me that the little round pieces of paper from
> paper tape is chad. The rectangular pieces from punch cards
> are chips.
> Dwight

Hi!
Everyone around me at the time called it chaff. Even the native IBMers
who used paper tape every single day. Those were the days when IBM
employee payroll statements were still printed on punched cards. Even
the hams called it that. At least those I knew.

Maybe Chad objected.

Maybe they were just funnin' me.

Did IBM really patent all those little chips? I think I've got a few
left over if they want them back. They should be useful as spares for
some keypunch or other.

==
jd
Lizzie Borden took an axe,