RoHS nonsense, was: Desoldering Chips, was Re: Can someone,

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 9 15:23:56 CDT 2010

On 9 Apr 2010 at 15:53, Joachim Thiemann wrote:

> There are of course places in the world where people live and raise
> children with (from our POV) horrendous levels of environmental
> contamination (such as the 'electronic graveyard' places in
> third-world countries). But here, the cost of removing lead wherever
> possible is a relatively small detriment economically; in the scheme
> of things a minor inconvenience.  (I for one prefer PEX pipes over
> copper anyways!)

I grew up in a house whose water was supplied (from the street main)
using a lead pipe (not a soldered copper pipe, but one extruded from
lead).  It had the great benefit of being able to flex with ground
movement.

Other than the obvious signs of dementia, I've noticed no adverse
effects.

Has the EU moved to strip all the lead cane from church stained-glass
windows and dispose of all lead flashing and gutters on historical
buildings?  If not, the attitude against lead would not appear to be
very genuine.

I also seem to recall a study that claimed a negative correlation
between cancer rates and levels of basement radon in the US.

--Chuck

(P.S.  My home town was also home to an American Lead Products
plant).