Locating short circuits (was Memorex 102 20MB Hard disk)

Dan Roganti ragooman at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 11:25:46 CDT 2010

Mike Loewen wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, dwight elvey wrote:
>
>> I have a none destructive method of locating such shorts. It requires
>> a bench power supply and a good DVM.
>
>    Has anyone here used an ESR meter to locate a short across the
> power rails?  If so, what's the technique?
I guess you mean this
http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/esr-meter.html

But you really want a Milli-Ohm Meter to find shorts with more precision
when it comes to connections with several components on there, about 0.1
milli-ohm resolution. That lets you pinpoint the short directly to the
sport on the pcb, even between the next pin on a chip. I just found a
place online the other week that has one for $150 from Ruby Electronics,
other costs 3 times as much,  but I still have to wait to get one
myself--other bills still have priority :)
http://tinyurl.com/y4d7op5

=Dan