a generic 486 system bid up to $105?

Jim MacKenzie jim at photojim.ca
Fri Apr 30 11:07:56 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Davidson" <mdavidson1963 at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic Posts Only" <cctech at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: a generic 486 system bid up to $105?

Well, I'm probably going to be looking for a 386-based machine at some
point.  I own several distributions of Xenix and Unix for the 80386
and I'd like a real machine to run them on.
===
I actually still have a running 486 (IBM PS/ValuPoint, 32 MB RAM, named
canberra).  In fact I just built a new kernel for it this week since Debian
Squeeze wanted some different flags than my existing custom kernel, and the
stock Debian kernel doesn't work (no floating-point math support?  My 486 is
an SX).

I don't know why I keep it running, but it's rock-solid reliable so I'd feel
bad about getting rid of it.  It was my first *nix machine.

Jim