DG 800/1200 questions

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sun Aug 1 15:00:20 CDT 2010

On 2010 Aug 1, at 12:14 PM, Brent Hilpert wrote:
> On 2010 Aug 1, at 9:24 AM, Jay West wrote:
>
>> First on my bench will be a bunch (8 or so) of Data General 800/1200
>> machines and a few Nova 2's. I can think of several questions so far
>> to get me started down the path:
>>
>> 1) A number of the 1200 machines have broken front panel toggle
>> switches (the switch handle was broken off and lost). Some are spring
>> return to center, some are just two position. Before I take the
>> approach of robbing one of the machines for front panel switches, is
>> there someplace that I can purchase exactly idential (both
>> electrically and cosmetically) switches, or does some one have donor
>> switches available for trade? I am a stickler for completely
>> identical parts, especially for front panel switches :) I was hoping
>> someone had been down this road before and knew the switch model #'s,
>> etc.
>>

> Jay, is this the front panel in the first picture on the wikipedia
> page?
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_General_Nova
>
> If those are 'standard size' mini-toggle switches, they may be C&K
> switches (typically having a red body).
>
> C&K switches tend to be well-marked with a type number stamped in the
> metal, and are fairly prevalent in equipment from the period. I have
> their catalog from the mid-70's with full listings. You might have
> greater luck finding replacements by specifying the manufacturer &
> type number.

(Sorry, looking at your message again I see you were asking for the
model #'s.)

If they are C&K switches:
   http://www.ck-components.com/product-matrix,21144,en.html
probably in the 7000 series, apparently they are still available:
   http://www.ck-components.com/7000/toggle,10598,en.html

The full catalog is there under "Download 7000 catalog pages". A
bazillion options.