Mispronouncing acronyms

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 19:40:10 CDT 2010

Tim Shoppa wrote:
>>> And from the 70's onward I often felt a twinge of pity whenever I saw
>>> References to the ASC2 character set.
>
>> Or worse yet, going full circle, "asskey two".
>
> Typical usage of that from the 70's onward: "You're still using asskey?
> We're using asskey-2. You should upgrade."

The other one I used to here about ASCII, was when a program crashed
with a corrupted text screen it would be described as "my screen was
full of ASCII characters" Well duuuhhh what do you think the normal ones
are(1). Actually more often than not it was full of extended ASCII....

1) Yeah I know there are other character sets like EBCDIC etc bu this
was a mainly PC shop.

Cheers.

Phill.