preserving computers (was: retr0brite not so right?)

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Mon Aug 2 17:54:48 CDT 2010

On 7/31/2010 5:16 PM, joe lobocki wrote:
> so wait, how much vacuum  would destroy something? I have a few things
> sealed in Foodsaver bags, is this enough vaccum to do damage?

Evacuated bags really still leave the enclosed material at atmospheric
pressure.  The problem would arise if you had a piece of plastic in
actual hard vacuum and the plastics and volatiles would gradually
sublime into the surrounding.

All that vacuum packing should do is ensure a very tight fit of the
plastic to the stored object.  I'd worry more about the stuff you have
trapped inside, and whether the vacuum plastic enclosure is acid free,
or is nonreactive with what you have stored.