Iomega Bernoulli Box 20+20 (A220H)

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Sat Aug 7 16:30:05 CDT 2010

Almost there ...

I got a good tip that 10MB cartridges would work in a 20MB drive.  I
found 10MB cartridges on eBay at a reasonable price, and they at least
fit in the drive.

I connected the drive to an older Linux machine, figuring that I would
need all of the tools that I could get my hands on.  Linux sees it as a
10MB mass storage device with 39168 256 byte sectors.  This is goodness.

The bad part is that Linux, even on an older kernel like 2.6.16 doesn't
seem to know how to deal with 256 byte sectored media.  Any attempt to
read from the device reports a buffer underrun which always shows that
the number of bytes read is half of what was asked.

Some quick Googling did not find a method around this.  I'm going to
have to go back to something much older, like a 2.2 or 2.4 kernel and
hope things are better.  Or go to DOS with the Iomega software, but I
don't have that yet.

On the positive side, the drive is running.  And it's a noisy beast,
befitting it's size. :-)

Special thanks to ChuckG for nudging me in the write direction..   It's
SCSI enough for Linux to talk to it.  And to Jim Scheef who gave me the
tip about the 10MB media working in a 20MB drive.

Mike