That darned PDP font

schoedel at kw.igs.net schoedel at kw.igs.net
Mon Aug 9 14:43:47 CDT 2010

http://gargravarr.cc.utexas.edu/cc/artifacts/dec-pdp-11-processor-handbook-cover.jpg

>         http://vt100.net/dec/logo

My impression was that he was not referring to the |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo, but
rather the circle-based style used on the rest of that cover.

I've spent some time off and on (but apparently not "on" in the last four years)
on a re-creation. I started with the outline version, because there are larger
samples available in the chapter headings of those handbooks, and when I last
left off had completed a draft of the alphabet (lower case only, of course),
most punctuation, and a couple digits.

I have never found any matching commercial fonts. In the outline form, adjacent
letters overlap by the stroke width, so they were obviously not set in metal
type, but those books are late enough to have been phototypeset.

--
Kevin Schoedel <schoedel at kw.igs.net> VA3TCS