VAX on a cell phone

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Aug 11 12:48:55 CDT 2010

On Wednesday 11 August 2010, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On 8/11/10, Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:
> > In that vein, I have spent some time over the past week or so
> > setting up my cell phone (an HTC Evo running Android) to emulate a
> > VAX by running SIMH... And then using a VT125 for its console:
> >
> > http://worldofvax.blogspot.com/2010/08/htc-evo-and-vt125.html
> >
> > Enjoy the insanity!
>
> Nice.  It's handy that you have the terminal servers on hand - I'd be
> scrounging for a way to get the bits from the terminal to the phone
> and vice versa.
>
> Do you think it would work to get a bluetooth serial interface for
>  the VT125, or would there be no way to induce the phone to pair up
>  to that for a virtual 'comport'?

Sounds interesting.  I've never played with BT stuff, but it's just a
Linux environment.  With enough effort, you could probably get it to
work, but with Simh, it's easier to have something that just can telnet
to a particular TCP port on the phone.

Maybe I'll try to find some sort of BT serial dongle to try it out. :)

Pat