SparcBook Tadpole

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 13:54:21 CDT 2010

> Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>
> > >  I tried doing a search on google for anyone hacking these chips
> > > to replace the battery but all I got were chip sales.
> >   I've seen pages documenting this, but that was years ago.
> I do this hack this way:
> File down the top of the chip at the pin 12 / 13 end until you get to
> the top of the old battery. The top of the battery is the + contact.

What is the battery? A lithium coin cell?

Having had all sorts of batteries leak over the years, I would be happer
if you could repmve the old battery (even if it makes a mess of the top
of the package. Is that possible?

The ones I have seen look to be a normal 28 pin DIL package with a
separat block of encapsulant containing the battery (I assume) on top.
How are the wirtes from the battery connected into the 28 pin DIL package
part? Is it possible to cut away rather mroe of the encapsulant block and
remvoe the old battery without wrecking the chip?