GET LAMP is here

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Fri Aug 13 01:09:31 CDT 2010

You've never worked in a mainframe shop, have you?  I'm not defending Microsoft, but neither they nor their products created the sort of approach you're describing.

I remember having to get all sorts of special authorization to access the scratch environment on our Amdahl.  Then I developed a process that saved the company hundreds of thousands of dollars a year (real dollars, paid to outside vendors) - not that I ever received any reward for that.  In fact, I got chewed out - gently - for going outside my job description.

I sympathize with people who just want to use better tools than those prescribed by the IT department, but I also sympathize with an IT department that has to spend endless hours helping people who don't really know what they're doing but insist on non-standard configurations.  -- Ian