Pronouncing acronyms (was Re: DEC acronyms)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 13:02:06 CDT 2010

> >> Concerning dismantling lenses in order to clean helicoids, diaphragm
> >> blades etc. you might be interested in Chuck Cole's opinions as
> >> expressed in the ManualMinoltaFree Yahoo group. Somehow I imagine you
> >> might disagree with him, or else you might explain your method of
> >> dealing with the issues he feels so strongly about...
> >
> > Well, if he's suggesting spaying soemthing into the lens (yes, I have
> > seen that suggested!), I certainly disapprove. If he;'s suggesting
> > removing the optical elemenets and applyuing solvent/lubricantmix to the
> > mount, then that's slightly better, but IMHO that's a method used by
> > people who can't handle tools and small parts properly, and if you're not
> > careful, it simply shifts the gummy lubricant, etc, elsewhere where it
> > will cause toruble lateer. I really do prefer to clean each part separately.
>
> Chuck is also a regular contributor to the camera-fix group, and some
> might describe him as, hmm, assertive perhaps, occasionally abrasive
> maybe, and I've even seen someone describe him as arrogant.  His
> attitude to cleaning focussing mechanisms would certainly not involve
> any aerosol, and lubricant (of a petrochemical variety at least)
> wouldn't be part of his vocabulary in the context of an iris diaphragm!

I thought somebody said I'd _disagree_ with him. So far I can see nothing
to complain about.

Oil is bad new on diaphragm blades, it causes htem to stick. They should
be dry -- the only lubricant I would consider using would be graphite,
and tht shouldn't be necessary. If a diaphragm is sluggish, it's
normally becuaseit has lubricant, not because it;s lacking lubricant.

>   In fact the last thing I recall him getting het up about re threads
> was that he believes only special lubricants should be allowed near a
> lens, and that what's suitably for a focussing screw wouldn't be the

I wouldn't go that far. I think the generic focusing grease avaiable
from, say, MicroTools would be OK on most lens helical threads. Actualy,
I've used normal high melting point grease there with no problems.