Terminals...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Aug 13 03:12:39 CDT 2010

Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>> > I doubt shipping costs would be so much of an issue - VT520s, if they
>> > are anything like VT420s, are not very heavy. If company X needs
>> > several hundred dumb terminals spread around in their system, I bet
>> > they would have enough of their own shipping going on, and the VTs
>> > could hang on the sides of the trucks for free.

>> > OK, I will say it - VT420s suck.
>
>    What don't you like about VT420s?  They're my favorite of the line,
> followed closely by VT320 then VT220.  I don't like VT520s at all.

I like the VT5xx series, just as I like all other VT-terminals. However,
I've had problems with power supplies of VT320, and VT340 terminals, and
have had problems with the displays going weak on VT420 terminals.

In a way, I think the VT525 is pretty optimal. External screen with VGA
connection, so I can use any PC screen, including flat screens. The fact
that the VT5xx terminals use a PC keyboard connection sucks some, but I
can live with that, since I atleast have proper DEC layout keyboards
anyway. And color, in addition to that. The only thing missing is ReGIS
and SIXBIT graphics.

But, to make a comment on the original topic here - I don't really think
that new VT terminals are more expensive than buying a PC. Yes, the
initial cost is larger, but I definitely expect a VT520 to last way
longer than a PC, and buying two or three PCs, and additionally to have
to service, update, install, and work on the machines will make them
cost way more than a new VT520 within just a year or two.

	Johnny