Terminals...

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 15 13:33:56 CDT 2010

> On 8/14/10 8:14 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
> > IBM certainly played the standard violation game as well, but somehow
> > the DE9 serial issue is no big deal. Order or make cable Z, and the
> > problem is solved.
>
>   DE-9 serial ports!!  *spit*

If EE-9s were the only non-standard serial ports I had to deal with, I
would be happy.  But I've got them on DB25s, DE9s, DC37s (!) (4 poirtson
one connector..), 5 pin quincuncial DIN plugs, 8 pin DIN plugs, 8 pin
mini-DINs (and no, not the Mac version), 3-contact jack plugs, 4 pin 2mm
headers, 10 pin 2mm headers (2 different versions), 50 pin microribbons,
36 pin microribbons, various PCB card edge conenctors etc, etc, etc. But
actually, I've had many worse thigns to sort out. Mostly it's justr a
matter of matching up signals...
>   So yes, all over the industry we have connector confusion problems
> primarily because people refuse to pay attention to what they're doing.
>  I'd dearly love to see 120V AC power delivered on 1/8" headphone jack
> for a few years...just to clean up the gene pool a bit.

The first problem is that jack plugs (as we call them) tend to
monetarily short when plugged in or pulled out...

I have no idea what the flashover voltage of such a connector is, but I
am likely to measure it jsut to see...