OT - sort of

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 15:34:50 CDT 2010

> I did not even know there *was* a PDP-1, which is not surprising I guess

I can't remember just which of the PDP-n series were actually produced,
but it's more than the PDP-8 and PDP-11 that most people remember these
days.

PDP stood for 'Programmed Data Processor'. The machines were not actually
claled 'computers' in the early days (for they most certainly were
computers), there have been several expllanations as to why..

> far of the PDP-1, it does appear to be rather large to fit my mental
> image of a mini, FWIW (not much).  In some ways I'm reminded of the

It was nto a small machine, that's certan. But it's unclear just what a
'minicomputer' is :-). I believe the PDP1 did not need an air-conditioned
room, and that is one criterion for distinguishing a mini from a
mainframe.

As an aside, the only machines I _know_ to be minicomputers are the
Philips P800 series. They say 'Minicomputer' on the front panel :-)