C64 questions

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Fri Aug 20 14:10:24 CDT 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Tony Duell wrote:
> > The C64 that I want to use is 27 years old and worked just fine when I last
> > fired it up about 10 years ago.  Anyone have any experience with this type
> > of behavior?  Is it worthwhile to replace the internal power supply
> > electrolytics or should I build a new power supply for it?  Have lots of 5
> > VDC supplies but don't seem to have a 9 V transformer in my junk box.
>
> If you think it's the power brick (and it might be), you could test
> things by using the 9V AC otuput from that 'brick' (that is unlikely to
> fail in an odd way, it's just the secondary wining of a transformer),
> along with a separate 5V supply connected in placeof the 5V output from
> the brick (in other words, desolder the 5V wire at the C64 conenctor and
> connect a 5V PSU to the C64). If it works, then you know ehre the problem
> lies.

Further on this, you can also power the '64 up with only the +5VDC. The
9VAC (as has been mentioned in past) is used primarily for TOD and
cassette port power. If the OP is needing precise timing, this probably
isn't a long-term solution - but if it comes up correctly under +5VDC
(which presumbly can be sourced with relative ease) then you know it's the
brick also.

For what it is worth.

 - JP