Troubleshooting a 5V Apple III

Mike Maginnis mmaginnis at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 12:40:15 CDT 2010

I have a 5V Apple III that won't boot and could use some troubleshooting
advice.  When I power it up, the LED at CR7 on the motherboard and the
keyboard lamp both light up and I get a brief flash on the internal
floppy light and nothing else.  No video or activity of any kind.  When
I hit CTRL-RESET, I do get the expected clicks from the internal
speaker, so I know there's some life there.

I've swapped out the floppy drive and cables, and the power supply with
known good units, and reseated all the socketed ICs and get the same
results.

There are no expansion cards or other peripherals attached to the machine.

Can anyone suggest a starting point for tracking this down?

Thanks.

- Mike