speeding up computers (was Re: Terminals...)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Aug 25 19:28:41 CDT 2010

On 26 Aug 2010 at 1:10, Liam Proven wrote:

> The #1 most common gotcha is that whilst a standalone XP box can have
> user accounts with blank passwords, you can't use network sharing to
> or from XP if the user accounts in question have no password. You
> *must* set a password and it must be the same on both ends.

Piffle.  I do it all the time.  Here's how:

[Start]
[Run]
Type  gpedit.msc and click [OK]
Navigate to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security
Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
Double click on Accounts:
Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only.
Select the radio button next to Disabled and click [OK]

--Chuck