PROMS but from what ?

John Robertson pinball at telus.net
Thu Aug 26 14:38:42 CDT 2010

Brent Hilpert wrote:
> On 2010 Aug 26, at 2:38 AM, Rik Bos wrote:
>>>
>>> I aquired a lot of small DIL14/16 PROMS ceramic package with
>>> a 8 digit number on it some of the numbers are :
>>> I can't find any reference about them, so if some one
>>> recognizes the numbers or can use them let me know (I've a
>>> few hundreds of them) If no one wants them I'm going to
>>> archive them in the big metal bin.
>
> Adding to mike's and ethan's cross-refs, I have a large core memory
> module from Burroughs from 1979, the IC's have both Burroughs and 7400
> part numbers on them. Out of your list I was able to cross-ref 3 of
> them, although 2 of those have already been cross-ref'd:
>
>               mike   ethan   brent
> 2584 0821
> 2574 6975
> 2571 5418
> 2600 1529
> 1447 3581     7438    7438N  7438J[1]
> 1447 3540     7410    7410F
> 2600 1495     7404           74S04F  [2]
> 1447 3797     9322  SN74157
> 2600 1487                    74S00F
> 2603 2623
> 2625 5562
> 2554 0888
> 2600 1495  (listed twice)
>
> ([1] over-stamped with 2624 8922)
> (ethan's list shows a different burroughs # for 7404)
>
> --
>
> For my own interest, I wish I knew what machine this core memory came
> from. A large plug-in PCB about 18 inches square, with a
> daughter-board containing a folded planar array mounted to it. 32
> KWords, 20 bits/word.

I would advise archiving the PROM data - and possibly posting it
somewhere (bitsavers?) so if someone someday needs that PROM they could
reconstruct it...

In my industry (coin-operated amusements) lots of folks have spent a lot
of time archiving Eproms/Proms/Roms and this often saves a game. We
archived thousands of Eproms and Proms over the years and burn them for
folks that don't have the ability (for a small fee) or send the code if
they can burn (and trade something back).

John :-#)#