MicroVax and OpenVMS for dummies

Steven M Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Fri Aug 27 20:44:48 CDT 2010

Hi TZ,

Sounds like you've got a nice little system there. The 3100/85 should be
one of the fastest CPUs used in any MicroVAX, so you should be in good
shape with any version of VMS you'd care to try.

If you need to get fresh licenses and media for VMS and a number of
compilers and other fun "layered products," you should check out the
OpenVMS Hobbyist Program <http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/>
(www.openvmshobbyist.com) - and they have links to many other resources.
Among them should be OpenVMS.org <http://www.openvms.org/>
(www.openvms.org), which seems to be quite active. And you can find
information on OpenVMS systems from HP here <http://h71000.www7.hp.com/>
(h71000.www7.hp.com), and the old Ask The Wizard stuff here
<http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/> (h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard).

I would also suggest you keep a browser window open to Hoffman Labs
<http://www.hoffmanlabs.com> (www.hoffmanlabs.com) and his field guide
to VMS / hobbyist intro. I thought Steve *was* the engineer behind Ask
The Wizard, but I could be wrong about that.

If you don't have it on the system already, you can get the full range
of IP-based network services for VMS. The FAQs may have a quick way to
tell and/or enable them - and if need be you can get it via the Hobbyist
Program. But you should expect to be able to telnet or ssh into the box,
and even use an X Windows display over the network.

There are some "VMS for Unix users" type books out there, which wouldn't
hurt for general concepts. Beyond that  I would recommend you start by
downloading a copy of the System Managers Manual (SMM) from HP's docs.

And when you see something that reminds you of Windows NT or later,
remember that they borrowed from DEC and not the other way around. :^/

Have fun!
--Steve.