Meet a Zuse Z23

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Aug 28 06:14:42 CDT 2010

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> BTW: There is a tube based Zuse Z22 in working condition on display in
> the ZKM museum in Karlsruhe (Germany). The Z23 is kind of a transistor

Don't speak of the Z22. I know the machine from the time where it sat at
the Fachhochschule in Karlsruhe, and I know the former maintainer of the
machine. It's a really nice machine (serial no. 13), about as old as our
LGP-30. It was a nice masterpiece to have it classified as historical
technical monument, so that it wouldn't risk to be scrapped or otherwise
brought out of the "Land".
What they are doing at the ZKM is really a shame! I suspect that it isn't
in working condition any more, because they seem to run it (i.e. turn it
on) every day for the whole opening hours (not really sure about that, but
several visitors of our museum who have been there told us that it was
running, but noone would explain or operate the machine).
We did offer to take the machine, keep it in working condition and exhibit
it to the public when it had to be "removed" from the FH. But they
preferred to keep it in Karlsruhe, although it clearly was not the best
for the machine. Sad story, but I hope that they won't completely ruin the
machine.

Christian