what was VMS/OpenVMS written in?

Rich Alderson RichA at vulcan.com
Wed Dec 1 14:42:55 CST 2010

From: Zane H. Healy
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:34 AM

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Richard wrote:

>> Actually I pointed that out; the original Finder/System was probably
>> written in Pascal and assembly from what I understand.

Not "probably", definitely.  Objective Pascal, if I remember the name
correctly.  Sat in on a Mac programming class at Stanford given by
Andy Hertzfeld.  Only the Toolbox was (very highly bummed) 68K assembler.

> I think the source is online for something like System 1.

>> However, MacOS X is what most people think of as "Mac" these days and
>> that's got a C heritage.

> How much is C, and how much is Objective-C?  I honestly have no idea, but as
> it has run on 68k, x86, x64, Sparc, and PA-RISC, I doubt there is little if
> any Assembly Language in there.

????  Oh, you're collapsing NeXTstep and Mac OS X, aren't you?  The latter
only runs on PowerPC and x64, as far as I know.

According to the book _Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach_ by Amit Singh,
there is some very low level assembler code on the PowerPC.  I don't know
what might have been done about that on x64.

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Server Engineer
Vulcan, Inc.
505 5th Avenue S, Suite 900
Seattle, WA 98104

mailto:RichA at vulcan.com
mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.PDPplanet.org/
http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/