SCSI to IDE

cctech at vax-11.org cctech at vax-11.org
Wed Dec 1 20:14:16 CST 2010

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Robert Borsuk wrote:

> Instead of starting a flame war, or another "project" how about another solution:
>
> How about using a PC to emulate a SCSI drive?
>
> Found an interesting blurb at
>
> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.linux.misc/2008-02/msg00055.html
>
> Haven't pursued it any further but it might be simpler then building your own.
>
> Rob

Most SCSI drives (primarily CD-ROMs) I worked on had fairly simple
interface logic, and the bulk of the heavy lifting was done by the
microcontroller. I've been trying to track down a datasheet for one of the
old Cirrus Logic SCSI CDROM chips, but thus far have been unable to. The
chips I worked on had a moderate amount of automation (possibly even
scatter-gather support), but in essence were just fancy DMA controllers
that could handshake with a SCSI host.

Clint