what was VMS/OpenVMS written in?

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Thu Dec 2 16:28:03 CST 2010

At 04:16 PM 12/2/2010, Doc Shipley wrote:
>On 12/2/10 3:54 PM, John Foust wrote:
>>Or, for example, why I'm still running a 1984 copy of Brief as my
>>text editor in a DOS window on a dual-24" quad processor PC.
>
>  Huh.  Then why am I running Mac OS X and doing most of my production work in VIm?
>
>  My first exposure to computers was Windows 3.1, followed closely by Win95.  I suppose it's no wonder that when I was introduced to AIX and then Slackware Linux, I jumped ship and never looked back.

Oh, yeah.  The 24" Mac with Terminal running is to the left of the two PC 24"s.
The Linux box to the right - hmm, doesn't need a monitor, it just keeps running.  :-)
Amiga, SGI, PDP, etc. in the basement, not running.

I did have fun the other day starting with a blank Virtual PC machine, loading
MS-DOS 6.22, then loading Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on top of that, then
installing from floppy images an app I helped write years ago, then installed
video drivers to let it run at 1024x768 true-color.  Ran fine.  Wouldn't convert
to VMware, though.  Told a friend.  He said the 18-year-old Windows app
runs just fine under WinXP and I needn't bother.  "We wrote it right,"
said the old geezers to each other.

- John