SCSI on the small and cheap

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 8 11:31:00 CST 2010

On 7 Dec 2010 at 19:23, Chris Elmquist wrote:

> Why do you think that the sampling method is overkill?   It would seem
> that cracking all the various header formats and sector sizes/counts
> would be a more involved effort than what would otherwise be just a
> fast bit stream recorder/player.

I'd assume that you want to use an 8-bit memory, right?  So you'd
serialize to a bit stream of some sort as you read the memory, right?
Now, a write splice can occur anywhere within each 8 bit byte, so
you'd need a read-ahead write-behind sort of setup.  And you'll get
quantization errors that will need to be corrected eventually (where
the bit transition occurs between sampling intervals).

I don't doubt that it could work, but it just seems like a lot of
work where the primary variation in formats is not with datarate or
encoding but in details of header ID bytes.

Your poison, I've still got enough drives to last me until they put
me away...

--Chuck