MacOS 7.x problem

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 8 14:49:25 CST 2010

On 2010 Dec 8, at 4:11 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Jason McBrien wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> The MacUser directory is fine - both data and resource forks are as
>>> expected.  However, no matter what I've tried 'Diagnostic1' simply
>>> does not
>>> show up in the finder.  I'm sure it's something basic, but I'm not
>>> much of
>>> an ancient Mac guru.
>>
>> Wild guess, but might be a custom folder icon that's having it's
>> resource
>> fork blown away? Did you try rebuilding the desktop on the 68k
>> machine? I'm
>> not sure if it's possible, but you might try doing the same on the
>> netatalk
>> share.
>
> Good thought, but there is no icon information in the netatalk
> metadata (it has a dedicated file for desktop info).  I believe this
> is something much more basic.

If I'm following this correctly, a file - which you know exists - is
not showing up in the finder windows or desktop?

IIRC, there is a HIDDEN attribute for files in the old MacOS, which can
be accessed through something like ResEdit or the Norton Utilities.

I'd have to fire up an MacOS 9 machine to check and I'm not sure the
machine I could easily fire up has the utility to double-check the
matter installed.

Aren't there some MacExperts here?