MacOS 7.x problem

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 8 16:58:50 CST 2010

On 2010 Dec 8, at 12:49 PM, Brent Hilpert wrote:
> On 2010 Dec 8, at 4:11 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Jason McBrien wrote:
>>>
>>> Wild guess, but might be a custom folder icon that's having it's
>>> resource
>>> fork blown away? Did you try rebuilding the desktop on the 68k
>>> machine? I'm
>>> not sure if it's possible, but you might try doing the same on the
>>> netatalk
>>> share.
>>
>> Good thought, but there is no icon information in the netatalk
>> metadata (it has a dedicated file for desktop info).  I believe this
>> is something much more basic.
>
> If I'm following this correctly, a file - which you know exists - is
> not showing up in the finder windows or desktop?
>
> IIRC, there is a HIDDEN attribute for files in the old MacOS, which
> can be accessed through something like ResEdit or the Norton
> Utilities.
>
> I'd have to fire up an MacOS 9 machine to check and I'm not sure the
> machine I could easily fire up has the utility to double-check the
> matter installed.

I fired up an old Mac Performa 5300CD / MacOS 8.5 and installed Norton
Utilities from floppies (that was a nostalgic novelty: flipping floppy
disks from install prompts).

There is an "Is Invisible" flag for each file (bit 14 of the Finder
Flags), which does exactly what it suggests, and which can be toggled
with Norton Disk Editor. I don't know what other means there might be
to toggle the flag. I'm not sure this is the nature of the issue you
have, so just FWIW ...