Releasing sources/schematics. Was: apple Lisa2. Any advice on non-working floppy drives?

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Sat Dec 11 16:38:30 CST 2010

On 12/11/2010 4:06 PM, Alexandre Souza - Listas wrote:

>   Tony Duell, the master of HP, said:
>
>> My experience of releasing source code for classic computer-related
>> things is that the market is so small that nobody is going to make them
>> commerically anyway. And I would much rathers others could see the
>> sources, make changes, improve it, make other simialr devivces, etc.
>
>    I have a thinking about this:
>
>    - Release everything and sell the product. Because who KNOWS how to
> do, will do it with or without the sources. Who DOESN'T KNOW how to
> do, will not do even with the sources.
>
>    It always worked for me.
>
> ---
> Enviado do meu Motorola PT550
I think you and Tony are in vehemently agreement.

I will attest it works splendidly in this type of market:

    * Pricing a product competitively guarantees people won't bother
      building it.
    * The size of the market dissuades competitors
    * If something should happen to your business, another one can pull
      the source, and create more for interested individuals.  No
      orphanware or other issues to worry about.
    * People are more interested in funding improvements to the device
      via "Kickstarter"-like programs when it's freely released.

On that last item, though not terribly high on the list of improvements
to the sd2iec firmware, enough folks wanted GEOS support to pledge over
$1000.00 to CommodoreBounty for support.  It was finished a month back.
I doubt they would have done so if the source would have been locked
away after the funds were paid.

Jim

--
Jim Brain, Brain Innovations