Service bureaus (Was: Tek 4051 firmware listing

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 20 11:18:58 CST 2010

On 12/19/10 4:25 PM, Teo Zenios wrote:
> What's the problem with sports?

   Chuck hit it on the nose: "Grown men and women playing children's
games for big bucks."  I have a major problem with the fact that we pay
these people gazillions of dollars to play like children while the
people working to cure cancer (etc) and make other REAL contributions to
society are making practically nothing.

> Everyone is good at something and not
> good at many other things, if you can throw a football but cannot do
> engineering work then go play sports.

   Or study medicine.  Or turn a wrench building (not designing)
spacecraft.  Or fix cars.  Or build houses.  Or become a commercial
pilot. (big bucks there!)  Or do pretty much any other grownup activity
that's actually productive.

   Further, this massive obsession with playing games affects the lives
of far more people than just the ones playing.  You've seen it; this
whole country grinds to a halt when Superbowl time approaches.  I can't
get anything done for a solid week!  And even outside of Superbowl time,
it's TV TV TV all the time, watching other people play games.  (not that
sports is the only time-waster on TV, but from where I sit, it's a big one)

   That's the problem I have with sports.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire